When we go to a thai restaurant, general tao almost seems mystical. It always seems so hard to cook, when actually it is simpler than what we suspect. It takes about 30 minutes total to make but the wait will surely be worth it. But what makes it so amazing ? The answer is certainly the fact that it is savory as well as sweet. This quality of the dish is even more outstanding when it is made with maple syrup. The richness of this sugary compound elevates all the flavors and creates a whole where all the different savors are standing out.
It is always a big hit, no matter if old or young and let me tell you it will be amazing on a bonding family night. Just imagine eating this in front of a movie or a series marathon with your loved ones. I don’t think I have to say anymore to convince you.
-2 lbs of boneless chicken, cut in small cubes
-1/4 cup of cornstarch
-3 beaten eggs
-1/2 cup of flour
-2 teaspoons of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of salt
-1/2 cup of vegetable oil
-2 teaspoons of sesame oil
-2 teaspoons of grated ginger
-3 green onions, cut
-1/2 cup of water
-1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
-2 tablespoons of cornstarch
-1/4 cup of soy sauce
-1/2 cup of chili sauce
1. Coat the chicken cubes in cornstarch.
2. In a bowl, mix the eggs, the flour, the baking powder and the salt. Then, add the chicken and make sure it is fully coated with the mixture.
3. In a pan, heat the oil on high heat and add the chicken.
4. Let it fry for about 10 minutes whilst stirring often, until the chicken is golden and not raw inside (no pink left).
5. Remove the chicken from the heat and prepare the sauce.
6. In a saucepan, mix the sesame oil, the ginger and the green onions, let it cook for about 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
7. Add the water and maple syrup and let it simmer for one more minute.
8. Meanwhile, in a bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the soy sauce and chili sauce, then incorporate in the saucepan. Cook for another 2 minutes or until the sauce has thicken.
9. Incorporate the chicken in the sauce and eat with the rice of choice.