This Italian dessert sure seems fancy, but it is in fact particularly simple to make. It is the perfect recipe if you wish to impress your friends and family, but do not have a lot of time to cook. The advantage of this panna cotta is, you can prepare the cream in advance and, when it is time for dessert, you can simply prepare the toppings in about 5 minutes and combine the two for a light and delicious treat. Because this dessert is so airy and fresh, it is especially great after a heavier meal or during the summer, when it is hot outside. This healthy and gluten-free recipe will please many of your guests, and they will most likely ask for more.
You can add any kind of fruit you like as toppings, as it is good with many of them. Blueberries, cherries, strawberries or cranberries, for instance, are good alternatives if you wish to make the most of this recipe. The same goes for the chopped nuts. If you decide to add some, you can choose toasted almonds, hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts, for example. You could even mix all your favorite nuts together to further enhance the quality and taste of this light dessert.
For the cream:
- 1 1/2 cup cow or goat milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp powdered gelatin
- 2 1/2 cups 10% Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
For the toppings:
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 cups fruits
- 1/4 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
1. In a saucepan, heat the milk and maple syrup over low heat until the mixture is hot. Remove from the stovetop, add the gelatin and set aside for about 10 minutes.
2. Mix and pour over the yogurt in a large bowl. Whisk until the mixture has a smooth texture.
3. Pour in a serving dish and chill for about 2 hours or until the cream has the consistency of custard.
4. In another saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of maple syrup over medium heat. Add the fruits and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. To serve, pour the toppings over the cream and sprinkle with your favorite chopped nuts.